Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Swimming

I am in need of a vacation somewhere close to the water.  I live 4 hours away from the ocean.  I was raised in Massachusetts in city that was right on the water and is known for our fishing fleet.  When there was low tide, you could smell it.  And believe it or not...I miss that stinky low tide smell.  I really miss the sound of the ocean crashing against the sand on the beach.  When the waves crash it also releases this intoxicating smell of salt water that I miss that smell too. 
My fondest summer memories are of going to the beach with my whole family (9 of us) and just playing in the water.  Mom had her own lifeguard orange whistle just for us!  But being the baby, I had my older siblings watching out for me too.  My whole family are big swimmers. My brother Donald was lifeguard, which for a pale puke redhead is a challenge!  Then my oldest sister Maureen was the first female lifeguard in our city back in 1978.  She also would swim the 500m on swim team.  That is 20 laps in pool.  Maureen had a "pretty" way of swimming where her feet would hardly splash. 
I prefer swimming in pools since you don't have to worry about what creatures might pinch your toe-bees on the ocean floor.  I somehow ended up with sand up my butt too!  Plus salt water leaves your skin dry and flaky unless you go to shower off as soon as you come out.  We had showers at our local beach.  Mom would bring her own soap & shampoo for us.  Along with baby powder that helps take the sand off. 
Salt water is very good for skin irritation and bug bites....but chlorine is good for that too. 
The perfect vacation would be down at the beach but also has a pool.  That way after the sun goes down you can still be in the pool on those hot steamy nights.  Nothing like a moonlight swim.