Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cooking abilities

I can boil water, which means I make a mean mug of hot cocoa.  I can make Kraft Macaroni and Cheese but don't ask me to make homemade anything.  I love egg salad which means...boil water.  I guess being the youngest sister, I was only given limited kitchen duties such as peel potatoes.  I have the scar on my thumb to prove it when I peeled my thumb instead of potato.  Sister Maureen would be left with written instructions on how to whip up dinner since Mom was working all night shift 11-7 so would be sleeping during the day. 

My other kitchen duties were to clean pots, pans, dishes and anything else that was dirtied up during dinner.  My Mom always joked that I would need to find a man who could cook.  I never went hungry even when I didn't have a man.  My favorite meal is tuna fish and peanut butter and jelly.  No fuss- no cooking.

I can follow a recipe but even then I have to make sure I follow the recipe to the tee. I forgot the sour cream when making my Mom's famous coffee cake. That is because I'm scatter-brained and need to focus.  It is a lesson in my life that when I start to lose focus, I say to myself "COFFEE CAKE" and that reminds me to slow down and focus.
Now I'm hungry...off to make some egg salad.