Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Styrofoam

If you ever wondered where all the Styrofoam in landfills come from, it is South Carolina. I admit I am into Recycling, Reducing, and Reusing to help save waste. I have a hard time with a couple of things done different down here.
1. There is no curbside recycling where I live. My apartment complex has three dumpsters. If they could just put one general recycle bin for paper, plastics and glass that would cut down on quite a bit of waste.
2. When you go to a restaurant down here, (any waitress service restaurant) before you leave the waitress will ask you if you want a To Go Cup. That is a Styrofoam cup filled with whatever you were drinking for the road. Only soda/tea no alcoholic beverages.
3. ALL of the fast food restaurants still use Styrofoam cups. Unless you get a huge size and then it is the recycled plastic ones.

I am surprised McDonalds does not have the old Big Mac Styrofoam containers. I remember there was such a big stink about how much Styrofoam McDonalds was contributing to landfills. Now Big Macs are wrapped in waxed covered paper.

I think To Go cups should be outlawed and if you still want something to drink after your meal…sit there and drink it.