Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Scallopers are Fearless"

My brother is the captain of fishing vessel (F/V) FEARLESS out of New Bedford, MA.  He is a scalloper and goes out to sea for about 14 days at a time dragging for scallops and schucking them.  He is responsible for all the guys on the boat.  Side note: females are bad luck on a boat. He has one of the toughest most dangerous jobs.  That is why the tv show "Deadliest Catch" is called that.  Although working in Bering Sea is alot more dangerous than Atlantic fishing off George's Bank. 
MPOM got me this sweatshirt a few years ago that has a left shoulder picture of the boat and the name below it.  This is picture of the back.  Pretty cool especially since it says "New Bedford, MA".  I wore this one day this week to work.  The VP of customer service dept is from Maine.  He saw my sweatshirt and said that is nice..."Fearless".  I told him that is the name of the boat my brother is Captain of.  The VP is also on bowling league which was the next night.  When I was up to bowl, he shouted out, "Go FEARLESS!"  Loved it!
Yesterday I wore the sweatshirt to Costco in Spartanburg.  The sweatshirt is warm and it wasn't too dirty so yes, I re-wore it.  I was also wanting people to read it and see where I am from.  Little did I know that Costco is having Seafood week and there was a kiosk with fresh seafood.  The scallops were fresh and looked like they were right off the F/V Fearless.  Rick bought some crab legs, tiger shrimp from Thailand and fresh littlenecks from Cedar Key Aquaculture Farms, INC.  They were all delicous but I especially love littlenecks.  I try to tell folks in South Carolina about them but they just don't know what littlenecks.  I have to say our lot was harvested on 2/1 at 7:00am and they were fresh and delicous.  I love a little cocktail sauce and lemon on them but the best way is to just slurp them down.  I have fond memories of littlenecks and thank heavens I grew up in seafood city.  I love all kinds of "fresh" fish.  I still don't like frozen but I guess living now in Spartanburg, I have to get use to it. 
I do miss home and the smell and sound of the ocean.  I know Myrtle Beach is four hours away but it is not the same.