Friday, April 2, 2010

Kindergarten way back in 1971


Maybe you didn't quite see those huge freckles on my face.  That is not the picture, although I would have prefered Fotomat glossy instead of matte finish.  This is my kindergarten picture from 1971.  Although I was at Sacred Hearts Catholic School, I think they let the kindergarten kids take their pictures without uniforms on.  I did wear a uniform everyday for Mrs. Aliscio's (sp) class.  It was held in the basement of the school.  We had this huge concrete door that the whole class had to get up and practice shutting for "raids".  I can't really remember what for but I am sure it was for some kind of drill.  I remember my mother was the school secretary back then since she could type very good.  Mom went back to St. Lukes after I started school full time.  She took a nursing sabatical for 7 years.  I think she would have missed out on quite of bite of us growing up had she not stayed home.  My favorite memory of kindergarten was when Mom brought us Burger Chef.  (I don't think McDonald's was around our city back then).  Burger Chef use to give Mom her own ordering pad so she could pre-write all nine of our orders down instead of waiting for each one of us to call out what we wanted.  And you never really knew the whole menu...Mom only probably let us choose between two things.  I like the kids today who come up to the ice cream window and the parents ask what they want.....ummmm....I dunno.....um......  Okay it is either chocolate, vanilla or coffee.  Oh would I love a coffee frappe right now.  Poulas Pharmacy on  Union Street made the best.   But I loved the Starr Store too!
Just walking down memory lane for today.