Saturday, March 21, 2015

March is not JOYFUL

I get moody in March. It has been that way since my Dad died on March 2, 1979.  My spirits then lift up when I know it's my Godchild/niece Molly's birthday.  She always brings a smile to my face. Then I find myself sulking because it is still winter and I am sick of the gray-ness of everything. I want to see some color! So I break out the kelly green and plaster it around with shamrocks everywhere. Why not? I'm an O'Malley and shamrocks make me smile. I wear one all the time just to make me smile.

St. Patrick's Day is another March day that I am very moody. On the one hand its festive and fun and get to honor my Irish heritage of being a 5th generation Irish-American. But on the other hand I have such WONDERFUL memories of the two biggest Irish influences in my life that I have lost. My Dad and my oldest brother John. John was so well known in our city for his Irish heritage, that a local Irish pub painted his picture on the outside wall.  Yes we O'Malley's are known for hanging around Irish pubs a time or two. I guess growing up at O'Malley's Tavern helped!  That is where I remember Dad and his Irish steins and the smell of beer and cigarettes. It's those memories that come back to my mind around March 17th and I get sad at losing the two most influential men in my life.

I feel so empty without them sometimes.  I would give anything for one more hug, kiss or laugh.
My best friend said: "God just wanted the best St's to be with him so he took them in March"

 Things never go the way you expect them to. That's both the joy and frustration in life. I'm finding as I get older that I don't mind, though. It's the surprises that tickle me the most, the things you don't see coming.

― Michael Stuhlbarg