Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Caroling etc

Remember Christmas long long ago when St. Anthony classmates of JIII came over and were singing Christmas Carols on our old porch. Mom I think let them come in and offered hot cocoa. Then I remember the "special" ball each one of us had and got our "Santa" present which turned out to be one thing we had on our list. Nowadays kids get everything on their lists and back then, with seven children, parents had little money to buy all seven us everything on the list. I remember copying the Sears catalog toy pages anyway. Holly Hobbie doll and roller skates were favorite gifts. I also remember going to bed anticipating Christmas day. My Mom and Dad ended up being so busy Christmas Eve filling 7 stockings with underwear, socks, and I always remember an orange sinking down to the toe of the sock. I wish I still got the underwear and socks because it wasn't until I was an adult that I had to buy my own and I didn't know my size.
I remember Mom singing with the choir "LORD OF LORDS..." which always made me smile because I could pick out her voice among the male Tenor/Baritones that she sang with. Mr. Ranville had the best voice along with Joe Scammons of course. I miss the old Sacred Heart Church and the warmth of the wood. Holy Name is so cold with the marble and although it is now our church, it doesn't feel right.